Saturday, June 10, 2017

Yet Again, UK Electoral System Delivers Undemocratic & Unfair Result

Once again, the First-Post-The-Post (FPTP) electoral system in UK delivers a result that does not reflect the voting pattern of the country (see table below). It is a system that relies on winner-takes-all, which in practice means that so long as a candidate win the most votes out of a line-up of - say - 10 other contestants, that candidate with the majority becomes the winner. In most cases, that majority could [even] be just 20% of the total votes cast.

Although there has been demands in the UK by many in the fringe for a the Proportional Representation (PR) system, which will reflect the real majority and thus bring in governments that are truly representative of the population.

With the PR system, the current result from this General Election would have looked differently and return a more balanced Parliament which would have reflected the voting pattern of the country. The table here compares the current result of the FPTP to what potential PR system. To see the 2015 election comparison, please see here.


On the above, it is clear that the Conservatives Party forming the government with 42.4% of the vote share ignores the rest 57.% votes whom now are totally unrepresented in the decision-making room.
On a second assumption that the Conservatives government forms an agreement of any nature with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP: 10 more seats); even that brings the government share of the vote just up to 43.3% and thus still leaves 56.7% of the electorate unrepresented.

Put short and simple, the current system is flawed. That in itself is potentially responsible for the almost 15% of voters who didnt turn out to vote, because they believe that their vote will not count anyway, as demonstrated above.

No comments:

Subscribe by Email